Poisonous Plants and Your Pets
If you are a pet parent, you have probably dealt with your pet chewing on, or even eating, peculiar things. Part of being a good pet parent is keeping your pet safe from harm. And knowing what is harmful is half the battle. While we may love having plants around our yards and homes, some plants can pose serious health problems for your pet. So before going out and and buying a pretty potted plant or some fresh flowers for inside your home, do your research.
Plants may have blossoms, roots or stems that are toxic, or may have spines or thorns that could scratch or otherwise injure your pet. Indoor plants can be especially hard to keep out of reach of cats as they love to climb, jump, and explore.
Here is a short list of common plants that are toxic to pets: Azalea, Begonia, Carnation, Chrysanthemum, Daffodil, Hosta, Ivy, Lilies, Morning Glory, Oleander, Poinsettia, Tomato Plant, and Tulip. Many houseplants have multiple names, so it is important to confirm the identity of the plant before you make your purchase. If you have doubts, you can the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center 1-888-426-4435 or visit their website at ASPCA.org
Vulnerability to plant toxicities depends on pet species, the amount digested, and the size of your pet. Effects of poisonous plant ingestion range from mild nausea to death. Signs of toxicity include lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, difficult breathing, excessive drinking or urinating, cold extremities, irregular pulse, etc.
If you believe that your pet has ingested a poisonous plant call your veterinarian immediately. Bring in a sample of the plant, and tell the veterinarian how much your pet ingested.
Your home and yard should be a place where you and your pet can enjoy your time together without worry. Making sure you are surrounded by pet-friendly plants helps take away one of those worries.
-Main Street Veterinary Hospital and Dental Clinic